Click to Download Microsoft
Excel and Word Viewers
Steps to Perform a Risk Assessment
- Instructions and steps to performing a risk assessment for those who wish to perform a self-assessment or update an existing risk assessment. Steps_To_Perform_a_Risk_Assessment.pdf
The following files are made available to those who wish to perform a self-assessment using Excel spreadsheets. The files can be opened from here and saved to your own drive. It is important that the Excel files be saved using their original names.
- Instructions for using risk assessment spreadsheets. 1.1.03 Read This First.doc
- File of macros to be used be assessment spreadsheets.
- Risk assessment workbook (risk assessments begin with this spreadsheet). 5.1.03extendedRSA.xls
- This spreadsheet is linked to the Activities tab of the 5.1.03extended RSA. This allows the user to scroll down the activities list while working with other columns in the extended RSA activities tab. 5.1.03 Brainstorming Activities.xls
- This file provides a formatted graphical view of the overall risk matrix. (Instruction included within.) Formatted Risk Footprint.xls
- This file is used to document mitigating strategies already in use. (Alphabetic headings on each tab are linked to the extended RSA, colored graphics are not linked.) 5.1.03 Optimization Form.xls
- This file is used to help define/link risk consequences to the severity of risk impact and to list potential mitigation strategies to be implemented subsequent to assessment. Consequences & Parking Lot.xls
- This file provides a general guideline to assist in categorizing the impact and probability of your identified risks between high, medium, and low. You are encouraged to customize the ranking criteria to fit your specific operation and/or organization. Ranking_Criteria.xls
Higher Education Risk Dictionary was an on-going project of the
Association of College and University Auditors (ACUA) under the
direction of Kim Turner of Texas Tech University and David B.
Crawford of The University of Texas System. The Risk Dictionary
represents a collection of risks in functional areas commonly found
in higher education. The Risk Dictionary was completed and is
available to ACUA members at www.acua.org .
Below are excerpts from the draft Risk Dictionary before it was completed by ACUA. Each functional area is contained in a separate excel workbook. Within each spreadsheet, the risks are grouped by tasks common to the functional area. The task groupings are noted on tabs along the bottom. There is an index file available to guide users to the appropriate excel workbook and tab.
- Alphabetical Index of Sub-Processes
- Auxiliary Enterprise Risks
- Financial Management Risks
- Teaching Hospital Risks
- Institutional Support Risks
- Instruction and Academic Support Risks
- Information Technology Risks
- Physical Plant Risks
- Research Risks
- Student Services Risks